Wednesday, February 13, 2008

American Peanut Butter: A Minor Miracle in Rio


Until now you had to have a willing friend traveling from the US to have peanut butter delivered here. What is available is an anaemic concoction so highly sweetened you can crunch on the sugar. No wonder most Brazilians say they would never eat it!

Yesterday I resolved to make my own by roasting tiny Brazilian peanuts in the oven at 300 degrees F for around 10 minutes. I then ground them with a bit of salt in my blender. The more I ground the oilier it became until it was the smooth, roasted, delightfully salted mess we love to spread on toast or make peanut butter cookies with.

Try this recipe. I've been using it for years.

PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES
1 cup sifted brown sugar, (remove the beads of molasses and put them in your morning oatmeal)
1/2 cup butter
1 egg
1 cup peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 cups of flour
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Beat it up, roll it into balls and bake at 350 degrees F

They are crumbly and most deserving of the title "biscuit" the British love to use. note: A Brazilian made blender is not strong enough for making peanut butter

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Rosemary!

My name is Dwight and I am an online media buyer from SEO, Inc, an internet marketing company in California. I was surfing through some travel nursing blogs today and I came upon your site. It's a definately a joy to read, they're written very well and I appreciate the personal touch you give to each. One of my clients agrees with me and would love it if you could talk about or promote them in one of your blog posts. They would definitely compensate you for your time and effort, if you were open to reviewing them!

I'd love to talk to you more about it, if you were interested in this opportunity, so if you could please email me at dwightl@seoinc.com I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks very much and I hope to hear from you soon!



Sincerely,



Dwight

GingerV said...

how great! I am bringing back chocolate chips (tollhouse cookies) and chili powder for you. I will let you make the cookies and I'll make the chili.
gingerv

Jim said...

I too have scoured the shelves for peanut butter to no avail. I make my own in the Cuisinart we brought with us. THANKS for reminding me about peanut butter cookies! I will try your recipie.

We are recent arrivals - here's my blog http://qualidadedevida-jim.blogspot.com/

Best to you. J