Saturday, March 31, 2007

Change is inevitable - except from a vending machine.

Life changes. The comandante has retired from his pilot career. It doesn't mean he has stopped working, he still does plenty of consulting and 3 hour lunching. But it does mean that we are now free to take solid retirement action instead of just talking. The first action will be to move from Alto Leblon to lower Leblon. We will be taking over my son's beach apartment. The one I decorated and furnished just last year. We will be maintaining it as a second home while living in Europe. The consulting business will require a lot of shuttling back and forth between the 2 continents

We don't know exactly where to settle but most likely it will be in Portugal, the colorful and crazed country where we met exactly 4 years ago. I think I would prefer Italy or France but I'll take what I can get.* We do have good friends around Lisbon and the comandante has family around Porto. We love them.

*get = I will have a huge battle ahead of me. You see my husband has no idea who I really am. He met me in a city and thinks I am a city girl. He has no idea that I want olive trees, to make soap and jam and keep baby goats. His preference is something close to the corner hangout. My gentle plan is to seduce him with wine making friends, an exquisitely stocked wine cellar, and frequent invited guests.









No, that is not a Pannetone. It is a baby goat!


One of the nicest things in Brazil is the Pannetone. Typically it is a 2 or 3 step bread making process. Try this simple recipe in a bread making machine using the sweet bread cycle. Or double it for the normal baking process in your oven.

1/2 Cup Warm Milk
1/4 Cup Egg
2 1/8 Cups All-purpose Flour
4 Tablespoons Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
5 Tablespoons Butter
1/2 Teaspoon Orange Peel
1 Teaspoon Lemon Peel
4 Tablespoons Raisins
3 Tablespoons Slivered Almonds
1 1/2 Teaspoons Yeast

OOOOOHHH! my pioneering heart. I'm also going to make candied orange peel to throw in the pannetone. Look here -http://www.amateurgourmet.com/the_amateur_gourmet/2005/10/sophisticated_c.html

2 comments:

bunnylove said...

yeah, baby goats. Mom, i would be a frequent guest....a seasonal farmer, haha.

it is funny because one day i want to live in the country. I want to raise honeybees. a Cow, and some piggies.

honeybees have such an amazing society. if some of them get drunk, the guards at the hive doors will keep the drunkard from entering until the bee has sobered up, usually 24+ hours....if the bee is an alcoholic and tries to come home too many times drunk, the bees chew off his legs! ouch! talk about corporal punishment!

Riorose said...

That is so interesting about honey bees!!! Yes, I think we are twin souls. I have lived a few times in the country and it always brought me to a spiritual place. It changed me if I allowed it to do so.