Sunday, April 1, 2007

In dog years, I'm dead.

I can't regret aging because as we all know the alternative's a B . . . . I sat down yesterday to google age and birthdays. The results were charming, clever, funny, thoughtful but in general not very inspiring. All those quotes on old age, good living, hallowed halos; essays on how beauty never dies, it just moves to the heart . . .blah! blah!

The prolific Oscar Wilde tackled the issues in The Picture of Dorian Grey when he said "To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable." And although I've typically not been hard on my body I think I've been a bit tough on my soul. It seems to me that I could have gone for more joy and icecream.

It was John Mortimer who said:There is no pleasure worth foregoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. But doesn't his name share a latin root with the name for death, or morgue, or an old boyfriend? So why does he expect to be quoted?

No comments: