Saturday, August 11, 2007

Finding meaning in small things


Ginger will think I have started another diet when she sees this photo. I walked past the commandant's candy wrapper in the kitchen and it suddenly occurred to me that my mind is no longer fighting against this language. It suddenly felt very normal to see Portuguese words integrated with a Hershey's logo. In fact I notice that when I walk around town everything seems familiar to me. The street signs, billboards, restaurant window postings, newspaper headlines hanging on the news stands. Slowly over the past 3 years this language has been seeping into my mind through the unguarded cracks.

3 comments:

GingerV said...

I also am able to recognize items in the grocery, on the menues and store names, what I can not do is call them forth when not looking directly at them. So they hae seeped in the cracks then the cracks crusted over.
gingerv

GingerV said...

Oh another comment WHERE does he find this chocolate. the last time you two were at the house he left an unfinshed bar - which I of course finished then couldn't find a replacement - for me not him.
gingerv

Anonymous said...

hi you guys! you ladies are amazing and courageous, and adventurous. good job for you, living in another country.

xoxo, Shannon